Shape Words

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Do you know what a “shape word” is? It’s a single letter and a word, where the letter describes the shape of the object. There aren’t many shape words although I wish there were more: the shape makes them easy to remember.

  • T-shirt: a short-sleeved casual top having the shape of a T when laid out flat
  • A-frame: the structure of a house that is shaped like a capital A
  • U-turn: a turn by a vehicle, completely reversing the direction of travel
  • V-neck: clothing with a neckline in a V-shape
  • A-line: clothing that has a fitted top and a flared bottom, like an A-line dress
  • T-bone: a thick steak containing a T-shaped bone
  • Do you have any shape words in your native language?


    Tomáš said...

    We do not have such words in Czech language. But, during watching golf tourment, I heard one. "Týčko" which could be free translate for Tee used for first shot on hole.

    Anonymous said...

    I love reading your blog for the reason that you can always bring us new and cool things, I think that I must at least say thanks for your hard work.

    - Henry

    Post a Comment